Thursday, April 18, 2013

Seniors: Matt Griffin, Becca Hanlon, James Mattes, Mia Pattison and Mckenzie Walker

Today was my last day working alongside the St. John's Mission Team. Along with most of the team, I went to a farm to work at replanting wetlands. We had to sort out the dead cyprus trees from the live ones, then put them on wooden pallets (all while avoiding fire ants and Black Widow spiders). It was great to work with most of the team, especially seeing as it was my last day.
I have mixed emotions about the trip ending: I'm excited for the next chapter of my life, but I'm also sad that leaving high school means leaving the mission team. This has by far been the greatest experience of my high school career, and will be the thing I miss most next year (and yes, that includes the train ride).
Wherever I go, I know that I'll always have my missions experiences with me. The people I've met along the way will always be the most important aspect of the trip. From Bob Flowers to Wanda, to mission team members both older and younger than me, to Kathy here at Camp Restore. I've learned from these people, I've grown because of these people, and I've become a better human being thanks to these people.
Four years flew by, and I thank God for the opportunity to work as a part of this team. I'm honored to be able to lead this group, and I'm excited to see the younger members take over in the years to come.
The mission trips will always be the best experiences of my life, and I couldn't finish this blog without thanking the fearless, crazy, and loving chaperones I've had the chance to work with. 41 kids are not easy to maneuver around a city (especially after a 37-hour train ride). Yet they--the chaperons--are the ones who give up a week of their lives, year after year, to somehow manage to pull off the greatest week many of us have ever had. They're the ones who teach us more than any classroom ever could. They're the ones who we are more thankful for than they (or we) may ever know.
"Show me your ways, Lord, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long." Psalm 25:4-5
-Matt Griffin

Today I worked at a local farm planting trees. Our job was to pick the trees off the ground and place them on pallets so the roots can grow out. The job sounded so easy until the man said "There are a few things you guys have to watch out for". He said there are massive wolf spiders, red ants that will swarm your whole body, and giant black widow spiders that if bitten, you will have to go straight to the hospital. I was so nervous picking up every plant because I thought there would be a black widow spider. The job ended fine and no one was harmed. The great thing about the last two mission trips is that the group has always done their best work. The task is done to the best of their abilities and not one person complains. Every member of the group tries their hardest and never gives up. The Mission Trip has taught every member of the team how to work hard and be proud of the goals they accomplish.
-James Mattes

Today along with almost all of the Missions Team, we headed off to our final worksite. Working with everyone was the best way to end our trip regardless of the situation. Upon arrival we were informed that we were not going to be headed to the worksite we had originally thought we were going to. The Wetland farm was "too hot" and was "infested with water moccassins". I do not know animals well but I was grateful that the Farm had opted out of giving us that job. Quickly the mood changed from relief to nerves when the guy giving us our job told us we had to call him over when we saw a black widow spider. However I couldn't have been more proud then the team that was around me working. Everyone handled themselves amazingly with every black widow we saw! Today was the best day I could've asked for as my last! As the last night starts to come to an end all I can do is think about all four trips and how different each of them has been. I'm sad that this chapter in my life is over I've loved every volunteer hour spent at home, every lock in, every fundraiser, and every person I've gotten to spend the last four spring breaks with! In all the reflecting and no matter how sad I am that this is my last trip, I couldn't be happier I am leaving my favorite group of people knowing how hard they work and the amazing experiences they still have coming for them!
-Becca Hanlon

As you have read from above, I, along with the rest of the missions team headed out together for the last worksite of the week. It was a bittersweet morning as everyone kept claiming how shocked they were by today being the last day, I would shoo away their comments by plugging my ears and chanting "No, No, NO!!". But at the same time I was so incredibly happy and impressed by how amazing of a week I had just experienced, a third week in my life I've spent at Camp Restore and fourth on this missions trip, none of them being comparable to the other. I could not have asked for a better day, as the missions team was all together with smiles on their faces. As we ate our lunch, in a giant circle in the farm's barn, I was able to look around at each face and be grateful for this week in allowing me to befriend them all and create memories I will always cherish. Despite the fact the day encompassed a few dangerous encounters with Black Widows...separating the trees and placing them on their pallets was a day full of pure laughter and happiness with some of my favorite people. Thank you to all, St. John's, our incredible chaperones, and my missions family for changing my life and the lives of the people in New Orleans.
-McKenzie Walker

Today was the last day I will spend working with the Saint John's mission team. This week came and went so fast I haven't really had a chance to wrap my head around the idea that it's over. Today I worked on by far the most interesting worksite I've been on in my two years with the team. As mentioned above, we faced fire ants (which are the single most terrifying animals on the face of the earth) and black widow spiders. As we worked, despite the threat of huge, poison spiders, I felt so incredibly proud of the group. These people are inspiring, and I couldn't be happier to have spent my spring break with them.
Although this is only my second year going on the trip, I love Saint Johns like home. This team is the reason I love Duxbury. When you come down here, you're just blown away by what you see, who you meet and mostly by the sense of community you feel in this group. The opportunities I've been given by all of you at Saint Johns, by the chaperones and by everyone on this trip have shaped me into who I am today, and I cannot thank you all enough. When I move onto whatever I'll end up doing next year, I'll always  remember my Saint Johns family, and the lessons they taught me.
-Mia Pattison




No comments:

Post a Comment